When people talk about project management software, Microsoft Office Project must be one of them, a leading project management program developed by Microsoft Corporation. It provides complete project planning, resource scheduling and project management solution. There are two versions of Microsoft Office Project: Standard and Professional version. Microsoft Office Project Professional includes all the capabilities in the standard edition. In addition, the pro edition provides collaborative enterprise project management capabilities when used with Microsoft Office Project Server.
With the program, you can quickly create a project using built-in templates. There are various project templates to choose such as annual report preparation, commercial construction, home move, financial service offering launch, infrastructure deployment, internal readiness training, marketing campaign planning, new business, new product, office move, software development, product development planning and more. Or you can start new project for blank project.
The software includes various useful tools to create effective project planning including spelling check, autocorrect, document management, link between projects, import outlook tasks, change working time, assign resources, resource sharing, level resources, tracking, macro, organizer and more. With MS Project, you can also use the Compare Project Versions utility to review differences between the current version and an earlier version of the same project in a detailed report. You can also use this tool to compare the current version to a later version of the same project. Here are some more highlight features:
Highlight Features of Microsoft Office Project
- Project planning, resource scheduling and tracking and project management.
- Well structure and easy to use interface.
- Variety of build-in project templates to get start.
- Hundreds of predefined columns for tracking date, duration, resource, cost, calculation, code, work, hyperlink, time, number and text.
- Auto-draw and connect Gantt chart when adding task, duration and predecessors.
- Customizable Gantt chart bar (including shape, pattern, color and type) at start, middle and end of the bar.
- Flexible project views: including Calendar, Gantt Chart, Network Diagram, Task Usage, Tracking Gantt, Resource Graph, Resource Sheet, Resource Usage and more.
- Flexible project task sort and filters.
- Customizable work space and toolbar.
- Toolbars: Standard, Formatting, Collaborate, Custom Forms, Drawing, Resource Management, Task Pane, Tracking, Visual Basic, Web, Analysis, Compare Project Versions, Network Diagram, PERT analysis.
- Compare Project Versions utility.
The program is available to download and try for free 60 day trial. You can evaluate and see how the program work and look. And find out whether it is right for your needs or not. It runs on Windows platform including Windows XP, 2003, Vista and Windows 7.
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP SP2, Windows Server 2003 SP1 or later.
- CPU: 700 MHz processor or higher.
- RAM: 512 MB or higher.
- Hard Disk Space: 1.5 GB.
- CD-ROM or DVD drive.
- Display: Minimum 800×600; 1024×768 or higher resolution monitor recommended.